WELL.
Reason #1
The most recent reason is that I just bought the most awesome coat. And if you think that was an irresponsible purchase, think again. It is soooo cold here. And apparently it will be for at least the rest of the month. Plus, I really have a weakness for coats. And seeing as I live in Utah and have to walk around outside a lot, I don't really feel too bad about this coat fetish. It's probably cheaper and more useful than a shoe fetish for example. What kind of coat is this you ask? All I can really say is that it is yellow and awesome. I've always wanted a yellow coat but couldn't pull it off. However, now that my hair is brown I feel that my time has come. The age of yellow is here.
Reason #2
At the moment I am listening to this up and coming singer named Dan Masterson. He is doing an eight week tour of England by himself and just happens to be my friend Brendan's roommate at Harvard so he gave us a private little concert last night in Brendan's room. I was a bit dubious but he's actually really good. Check him out: http://danmasterson.bandcamp.com/album/the-father-time-ep . If you only have time to listen to one listen to Father Time or Jack and Jill. This has to do with my love for Cambridge because I feel so cultured that I'm surrounded by such smart and talented people.
Reason # 3
People say cheers. All. The. Time. Really, it's cheers this, cheers that. Cheers seems to be what you say for both 'thank you' AND 'you're welcome' as well as 'goodbye'. It's a very cheery place.
Reason #4
The architecture. It's absolutely amazing. Here are some pictures I took the other night when I was picking up my laundry. Guys, this is where I LIVE.
| See the corner right where the two sides meet? That's my staircase. I'm on the top floor. |
| The entrance to my staircase. See the spiral starting? |
Reason #5
School. I'm taking a class on War and Security and it is soo interesting so far. And tonight I'm going to a lecture by Sir Sir Richard Dearlove, former head of MI6 and Master of Pembroke College here in Cambridge. I would go to this anyway, but it's actually required for the "Spooks and Spies Class" that I am taking next block.
Reason #6
The stores here are awesome. The shopping is great and they play really cool music. I mentioned this about Scotland but its worth saying again, because it's really made an impression on me: the music they play could be off my personal playlist. Now I know I'm not that original so the music I like IS popular, but it's just not extremely popular in the states. So it seems I have found my kindred spirits. Also so far, I am definitely more drawn to English fashion than to French fashion.
Reason #7
I could probably go on and on, but I will finish by saying this: it just feels right to be here. It hardly took any time at all to adjust to my little life here and the idea of leaving in about 7 weeks just sounds like way too soon. So to all of you who have made fun of me the past few years for my obsession with England, I want to tell you that my gut feeling was right. I really do love this place and I think I could be happy here in the long run. I will definitely be coming back and graduate school at Cambridge or Oxford is on the top of my list.
I also want to say thank you very much too my mom and dad for making it possible for me to come here. I know that I am extremely spoiled and that I don't deserve it.
I guess that's it for now, I love you all and the only think that could make this trip better is to have you here with me!
Cheers, Jenny
Cheers! Glad you're having such fun. Jolly old England! Thanks for the post :)
ReplyDeleteHey Jenny,
ReplyDeleteJust came across your blog from a track-back link because you shared my EP, and I just wanted to say thanks for that! I appreciate the kind words (and happy to see you like Father Time & Jack and Jill) Glad you're having a good time and this blog is great! I'll be following it!
-Dan