One of the many “Uganda-isms” that I like is the expression “how
is there?” What will happen is Kristen and I will meet someone new. They will
ask what part of the world we are from. We will say United States and they will
say “ah! How is there?”
Trying to answer that question is about as ridiculous as
trying to answer to the question I get from all my friends back in the states
asking, “How is there?” for Uganda.
With the Ugandan’s it basically just comes down to a
discussion of the weather. We will say that ‘there’ is quite cold with so much
snow. They will say “Eh! But it is too hot here!” And that is about the extent
of the conversation.
With my friends back in the states, I say that it is
stressful here but I usually don’t go into details. I’m not really sure why
not. I mean I’m having the adventure of a lifetime. But I am too lazy to
explain it all. I mean, it’s a lot just to take in, not to mention make sense
of for someone else. The best way I can explain “how is there?” to my mzungu
friends in America is with a series of anecdotes. Here are a few:
I spent an entire night running to the bathroom I was so
sick. At about 3 in the morning I discovered a large rat the size of small cat
in the bathroom. At first I thought that maybe it was a hallucination because I
was so dehydrated. In the morning we told the gatekeeper, Bonie and he said “eh!
You saw it? I have not seen the giant rat for years, I thought he was dead!”
Comforting.
People are always saying “you are welcome!” to me as I enter
their home or business. It doesn’t really matter if they knew I was coming or
not. They are so gracious.
There have been week long periods here where I can’t
actually remember what ‘cold’ feels like.
I get star struck when I see more than 4 white people together
at once. Seeing old white people is a special gem. Spotting an Asian is like
seeing a unicorn.
To get anywhere I flag down a random man with minimal
English skills on a motorcycle on the side of the road. I tell him where I want
to go. He will say he knows where that is (even if he doesn’t) and we will
swerve through potholed, overly trafficked, crazy dusty streets to get there.
I have food hallucinations. Like, I will wake up and realize
that I have actually been daydreaming about a melted ham and cheese sandwich
from the King’s College Café in Cambridge. Which is about the most random thing
I could have food lust for. But there it is.
Kids yell “mzungu MZUNGU!” when I pass by. Some even reach
out their hands and quickly issue a gentle slap. Most likely this is to see if
my skin is really so white or if it is a paint that could come rubbed off. It’s
skin.
I have to plan that every event will take about 2 hours
longer than it would in the US.
The power has been off for significant portions of the day,
every day for the past couple weeks.
The savannah of the countryside is the most beautiful rustic
thing I may ever see.
A safari to a world-renowned national park can be planned 3
days ahead of time and paid for in the cramped interior of a cellphone stand.
I get hit on constantly. Sometimes this is
flattering. Usually it is a little unnerving and a good reminder of how unimportant
looks are. I’m tired of people declaring their love for me when we have said 3
words to each other.
I got SUPER excited when I saw an ice machine at a
restaurant the other day. Like…really excited. It was just for certain drinks at
the bar so I didn’t even get to benefit from the ice. But it was still really
heartening.
I am routinely greeted by women as if I am their long lost
sister. I am received with hugs, welcomed into their hut, given soda and
biscuits and sent away with gifts of beads or sewn handicrafts.
I pretend that I am a princess as I ride down the street
because so many kids wave at me and I go into Duchess Mode waving back at the
people.
Well, that’s all for now. I know that this all might sound
rather negative but Kristen and I aren’t in the best mood right now. We’ve had
a long day of appointments falling through, focus groups not going well and bug
bites in un-itchable places. At least while I am in public.
I love Africa. But it’s broken me a little bit. And I’m ready to go home.
Awww, Jenny, thanks for being so honest. It's a strange place, Africa is. I miss you too and am ready for you to come back!
ReplyDeleteLove you Jenny! These little anecdotes are great, I feel like I have a slightly better view of what you're experiencing over there. Love you, and praying for you! See you soon : )
ReplyDeleteJenny, this is your father. Glad to hear that you are still alive and haven't been kidnapped or anything like that. We had a foot of snow yesterday, so why don't you come home and rediscover cold!
ReplyDelete