Well I have officially survived my first week here in Nederland!
I'd say the craziest thing about my time here so far is how surreally normal it has felt! Maybe it's because I spent the summer in Uganda or because I have visited the Hague before and so knew what to expect out of my environment but I feel like I am adjusting really well. Like, yeah I live in Europe now! Great! One of my goals with traveling though is to never lose my sense of awe at discovering or living in a new place so I don't want to get too comfortable!
Well, a quick recap of my adventures so far. My first weekend here I went to fireworks with Sameer and Natalia like I mentioned in my last post. Then on Sunday I braved the public transportation system and found the English ward here. This took two hours due to my own incompetence. The ward was very nice and the bishop's family had me and some other people over to lunch afterwards.
Monday was my first day of work! I was pretty outwardly calm about it but subconsciously nervous. My sweet roommate who used to intern at OPCW woke up early so that she could guide me by bike to the building. This was very nice as it took me a few days to become comfortable biking around the city. It was raining that morning so for my ID photo I've got a bit of a puff ball for hair but whatever.
The first day was actually pretty comical. I went through security outside the building and when they asked for my passport it was the one thing I had forgotten at home. So I gave them my void drivers licence and they didn't seem to notice. Then when my guides came to collect me in the lobby (you can't walk around alone inside until you have your own badge) they took me to this really fancy meeting room to sign my papers. I realised that my hand was actually shaking as I sat there, pen in hand. When they finally took me to meet my supervisor he was like, "I DON'T NEED ANY MORE INTERNS!"
Really. He was
So Then They overtook me upstairs and I've been in Entitlements and Benefits (E&B) ever sense! I'm supposed to transition to recruitment soon but in the meantime my officemates are really nice so I don't mind! Although it's a lot of spreadsheet work....
On Thursday I went with some of the OPCW peeps to jazz in the canals and then on Friday I went to a Brazilian grill and fireworks and then on Saturday I had an incredibly blissful time just cycling around on my own and exploring the city. Then I went back to the jazz concert and read my book there like a weirdo. It was wonderful.
Also my house is incredible! A really great location and a landlord who is like santa clause-seriously I came home to find new furniture magically appeared yesterday!
So, while I realise its still rather early to make a definitive call, I'm going to say Holland = good choice. A very good choice indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment