Last Saturday I went to Antwerp, Belgium with some of my fellow interns for the day! I wasn't sure how it would go because I didn't really know the people that I was going with very well, but it ended up being so fun! There is a new intern at OPCW who lives with her boyfriend in Antwerp so they met up with us and gave us a tour which was so kind of them and really added to the experience! But it's crazy that she lives there! She has to commute like 2 hours EACH WAY to get to work every day!
Anyway, Antwerp is a beautiful city with a cool history (which involves a myth of cutting off the hand of a giant which is why they now have chocolate hands for sale there!). The food there was wonderful and the weather was fantastic. We saw great architecture and I ate a chocolate truffle (hello, had to have some Belgian chocolate!) AND I had a belgian waffle with speculoos and chocolate on it. SO. Good.
![]() |
| The famous Antwerp train station. It's beautiful in there. |
![]() |
| Because no European city is complete without a horse-drawn carriage over cobblestones being tailed by a car. |
![]() |
| I may be a little too excited about this waffle. It looks like my jaw has come unhinged! |
| Inside the historic train station. Take a look at the tall figure on the left |
| It is a stand up of a Scottsman selling gin or something |
| Isn't the architecture great? |
| Statue of the giant slayer (the one who cut off the hand) |
| Bridge! |
| Castle! |
| Water! Friends! |
This Friday I went with some interns to a festival in Leiden. It was pretty epic! So apparently its this annual huge party commemorating a long time ago when basically not everyone died in this siege of the city by the Spanish. It lasts two days and they have amusement park rides and games and food trucks and lots of live music! It was so fun! It got a little bit less fun into the evening when some drunk teenagers next to us started hitting on my friend and then started breaking glass bottles and trying to get in a fight with our guy friend. At that point we walked away. And I didn't like the smell of smoke and pot everywhere. But other than that it was fantastic! I went on these two rides with my friend Jaime. They were legit rides, not like, backyard of the school fair rides. One of them was a scary one that spins you around in the air backwards and forwards. Up in the air you could see the whole city laid out with the fair everywhere and then an old windmill in the midst of it all. So beautiful. The other one that I went on was one of those round swing ones that lifts you up in the air. Except that this one went WAY up in the air. Like above all the buildings! It was cold up there at about 12 am but so beautiful! I also got a chocolate waffle and some nice dutch fries :) I found some cool jewellery there as well. Overall, such a fun night! And I love my fellow interns.
![]() |
| me and Nabila. I think she's pretty cool. |
![]() |
| They have these cake ball things there! Quite good. |
![]() |
| Beautiful canal in the city |
![]() |
| look at the ferris wheel! So cute! |
![]() |
| Me and Jaime conquered this. |
![]() |
| It was pretty epic. |
![]() |
| Food stalls everywhere! Getting fries in a cone like this with sauce (usually just mayo) dripped on top is so typical. This time I tried a spicy sauce. Was good! |
| The swings up in the sky at midnight! |
So yeah! That's what's going down lately in Jennyland. P.S. "The low countries" is the term for the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg since they are small enough to be grouped together and geographically have a very low altitude.










No comments:
Post a Comment