Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Evensong

Today was good but a bit forgettable so I won't go into too much detail.

First, I tried to get up at around 7:30 and, of course, ended up sleeping in until around 9. Once I was finally up I went for a short run which felt good. I'm actually not too out of shape after my week and a half off.

I ate breakfast in my room ran an errand and then worked on my supervision in the Cambridge Union Socictey Bar. It's basically the headquarters coffee shop place for the PKP programme.

FINALLY went to my first class which was called "War and (In)Security." The words "hipster McGonagall" come to mind when I try to think how to describe my professor. She is fairly young, very pretty and was wearing a simple gray tank top and just jeans or something. She seems really strict. Like we aren't really supposed to ask questions during lectures and we are not to ask her for references after the program is over and we are not to use laptops in class. Her accent is a bit hard to understand and I'm not entirely sure that she is English. She might be from somewhere else in Europe. The guy sitting next to me was Greek but he goes to school at Science Po in Paris. His name is Stratos which he explained to me is the Greek word for "War" and hence the root of our English word "strategy."

Go figure that a guy named "War" would be in my securities class.

He seems cool. His Dad is the mayor of one of the towns on the island of Lesbos. I'm dead serious.

After class I saw in my course reader that I am an entire book behind in reading so I hurried over to the library to check out some reading. After that I went to Evensong at the Kings Collage chapel.

This was a heavenly experience and I am told that I looked quite reverent during the service but that may have just been due to the fact that I was sitting next to the chaplain. That's right. As King's College University members we get special seating in nice chairs right near the choir. The choir is absolutely beautiful and it's so amazing to just close your eyes or look at the stained glass windows while they sing. Here is a google image of Kings College chapel from the outside:





It's the big tall building in the center.

Here is what it looks like on the inside:


View as you exit the chapel. The building you see contains my cafeteria

Outside the chapel doors after Evensong
Anyway the Evensong was great and I'm glad I went two nights in a row because the choir is going on tour soon so it was my last chance to see them for the summer.

Tonight we had our orientation meeting for our trip to Scotland TOMORROW! After that we had our first BYU Family Home Evening which was fun. It's nice to have the support group of people from my home university. Then I met up with some friends to chat in the college pub. That's about it. Really I should be packing right now because my bus for Edinburgh leaves at 8 am. Wish me luck! I will write more when I get back on Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour young Jenny! Sorry I never commented on this post - the Johnsons went up to Chicago on Wednesday night (and I do mean NIGHT) and did not return until Saturday evening. It was straight up awful but very nice to see Meme. If you marry Stratos you could move to his home town and be a Lesbian. I will come visit you and we will be Lesbians together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear Jennnaaaiiyy, :) Sounds like a pretty epic campus! And the classes sound so cool! Anyhow, keep the blog's coming, I've been reading them regularly :) Talk to ya soon!!
    Sameer

    ReplyDelete