Sunday, September 2, 2012

"The Prince of Egypt TWO"

Okay so I came up with what blogs I was going to write awhile ago and if this was closer to the actual event I think this post would make more sense. Because it wasn't actually that exciting. It was just a fun little event we went to.

So the story goes like this: One day Corrine and I were walking up from our house in the residential area to all the stores. At the top of this great big hill across from a restaurant called "I feel like Chicken Tonight"



We saw these fliers advertising The Prince of Egypt TWO

Entertainment being rather scarce around those parts Corrine and I were very interested. So we took pictures of the sign so we could remember it and then went along our merry way.

"Live Drama" What does that even mean in this context?

Ok so fast forward about a week. It's after church on Sunday. We've walked all the way home down an enormous hill and I'm tired and probably a bit cranky and don't feel like doing much of anything and we were debating whether it was worth it to go up and see the play seeing as we had NO idea what it was. We get a call from Corrine who had stayed at church to teach piano. She had gone straight to the play and she wanted to let us know that "It's awesome! They have a set and everything!" 

Well that settled it. They had a set. We got in a taxi-bus and headed up. When we got there it was in this HUGE church and they had an amazing sound system and they really did have a pretty impressive set. They proceeded to act out The Prince of Egypt but with lip sync during the songs. The scene when Moses chases the men from the well who are bothering the little sisters turned into a long-winded karate fight. I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure that at one point they changed one of the songs, replaced it with a song from the Lion King and made the words religious. 

I'm having a hard time conveying it in this post but the play was HILARIOUS. 

During the song that Jethro sings about looking at you life through heaven's eyes, there were some dancers going that were actually really good. But one of the dancers was SO flamboyant and cheesy that I literally had tears in my eyes watching the performance. He was just soo goofy. And then when they showed a market scene it was totally a Ugandan market where they were haggling tennis shoes and stuff. Very anachronistic.

But when the plague killing all the first born struck it was so chilling. The theater was totally silent and then women started walking on stage holding young children in their arms and just wailing. Wailing like I've never ever heard a person wail in real life. It was like they were emitting this pain from the bottom of their souls. It was the kind of thing that you never would have been able to get non-professional actors do in the United States.

And then everything paused and this white evangelist speaker came out and started preaching about Christ. For like 20 minutes. The whole stage was just frozen behind him and he was telling us to close our eyes and pledge ourselves to Jesus. I'm pretty sure he was the guy who owned the church and paid for everything. Finally he stopped his speech and the play finished up. 

It was just such a unique experience. If your Mormon then you are familiar with road shows. This was like that but on steroids and with much more soul. We met up with Corrine and the girls she was with from church (Josephine and Anette and Mary). We even stuck around to fill out a little survey about our experience thanking them for the show.

It was a pretty cool way to spend a Sunday afternoon and a fun look into Ugandan religious culture.

 And also a really good work out for my laughing abs. 

2 comments: