Hey All! It's your favorite spoiled traveler and I'm here to tell you about my latest adventure: Germany!
I flew to Berlin on Friday night and got back on Sunday night. It would have been longer but then I had a commitment at work . And I was going to hang out with Laura and her whole family but then something came up and Laura could not make it. I was pretty bummed because sometimes it's lonely living by myself here and I really miss my family.
Possibly one of the best ever whatsapp conversations between me and Laura was when Laura said "is it weird that I thought about sending Dustin to hang out with you on his own?" and I answered, "Is it weird if I thought of that too?" And that's how I ended up spending a saturday in Berlin with my brother in law! (To be fair he went that weekend primarily for a work conference). It was just a funny concept. I'm so glad to be close with my sisters and their husbands. At the end of the day, even though I'm almost 25, I still get to be the baby of the family and they watch out for me.
Well here goes the chronicles:
Getting there:
 |
I got to the airport around 10 pm. I had to wait in the freezing cold for my train. I took the opportunity to take yet another 'Jenny traveling with junk food" selfie as I waited. |
 |
I stayed with my French friend who I met in the Netherlands who goes to university
in Berlin (it's such an international world I've entered!). She just finished her internship with OPCW.
Due to some difficulty communicating I waited at this train station for like 30 minutes.
IT WAS SO COLD! |
 |
Being in Berlin felt like I had stepped back into a heavily graffitied version of the 70s. Luckily Edoxie found me! She was so sweet and had a great air mattress waiting for me at her dorm.
Also, P.S. lots of people on the train had full bottles of beer-only in Germany! |
Exploring Berlin:
 |
In the morning I met up with Dustin under the Brandenburg Gate! I May or May not have been an hour late. He May or May not have been the perfect gentleman. |
Checkpoint Charlie:
 |
We went to check point Charlie!
They have people dressed up as guards from the cold war |
 |
| Now leaving the American Sector |
 |
AH-MAYR-RI-CA!
I love this guy's shades |
 |
| A portable bike bar! So German! |
 |
| It started snowing! Don't the stations look 70s as well? I love all the yellow! |
East Side Gallery-Turning the Wall into Artwork:
 |
After Checkpoint Charlie we went to the East Side Gallery.
It was soo cool! |
 |
| Banksy has given my a love of street art dealing with political themes |
 |
| Communism repurposed for capitalist purposes? |
 |
| cool, huh? |
 |
| A friendly dragon! |
 |
This is a super-iconic image based on an actual picture taken from the
opposing political leaders. It's called "the fraternal kiss."
It doesn't seem that fraternal to me but ok... |
 |
Reminds me of Banksy which is probably why someone put a balloon with it |
 |
| Tearing down the walls between all of us |
 |
"Lose every sense of time. #Drugs"
followed by a smilie face |
 |
Do not know what they were doing there but I love the Kooks!
Saw them live once and hugged the lead singer-ah my younger days! |
Then we went to a Christmas Market!
 |
Dustin made sure to introduce me to as much German food as possible.
It was quite good! |
 |
This is attempting to be another food selfie with a crepe.
But really it's just an awkward picture of that guy. |
 |
| Look at how old fashioned this merry go round is! |
 |
| Better vantage point of the cool holiday decorations! |
After the Christmas Market we went to Museum Island. We weren't picky about which museum of the many to go to and we kind of just went into the first one that we found the door to- it was SO cold I was just happy to be inside!
 |
On the outside- an imperial guard from Star Wars. Underneath-the beautiful Artemis! (or Athena or...whoever this is. I should have taken better notes) |
 |
| Amazing greek sculptures! |
 |
| I'm thinking I should get this as my next headband |
 |
This is outside the museum where there is a statue of a woman warrior battling a lioness. This is me showing my muscle. |
At this point it was getting late. We had some Turkish food for dinner and then walked around a bit.
 |
| These are the memorials left outside the French embassy in the wake of the bombings in Pairs. |
No comments:
Post a Comment