On Tuesday, Miriam and I took a bus to the beautiful little city of Segovia which is a world heritage site. It was so charming! And imma be honest- I kept singing 'Se-GO-vi-a" like the fat guy sings the Genovian national anthem in Princess Diaries. Miriam didn't really get the reference but she laughed politely anyway because she's a nice person.
The main things to see in Segovia are the old Roman aqueduct, this fairy tale castle, and the old town. Then there is this pig dish called Cochinillo which it is apparently required to eat. I was SO excited for this day trip and it did not disappoint.
 |
| Look at those colors! |
 |
There is this pyramid wall that I saw a picture of someone posing in front of on the internet so then I decided pose in front of it and post it on the internet too |
 |
| Just the general view on the streets is captivating |
 |
The big cathedral! Everything was that old sandstone color and it was so fun to see a desert vibe combined with European sophistication |
 |
| Just a cool angle |
 |
| Bell tower |
 |
| Countryside- I think that's a monastery over on the right |
 |
THE CASTLE!!!! Sadly they had scaffolding up all over the main entrance so I had to take this pic to the side |
 |
It's called the Alcazar and its foundations are really old and it served as inspiration for one of the Disney Palaces |
 |
I didn't know you could find stuff like this in Spain- again it's like the sophisticated desert version of a fairytale castle |
 |
| The inner courtyard of the palace- this picture does not do it justice at all |
 |
| Posing with a turret because, obviously |
 |
View down at the hedge maze. I'm really into hedge mazes lately |
 |
| Another turret? Must pose. |
 |
Ivy art? Take a picture of me please, Miriam |
 |
| That sky! |
 |
Those little narrow streets! I think this might be the old Jewish quarter |
 |
Wouldn't be a bad neighborhood to call home- especially when I compare it to my walk to work every day in the Bronx! |
 |
| For reference, here is that whole pyramid wall that I was standing in front of earlier |
 |
THE AQUEDUCT!!! Romans, man |
 |
| Me and Miriam reserved lunch at this fancy restaurant inside a hotel that her boyfriend recommended so that we could get a good version of that pig dish. It was a nice deal too! 3 course meal for 20 or 25 Euros. This is a picture I surprised Miriam with because I wanted to show her how pretty she looked but I knew she would be weird if I asked her to pose. |
 |
| Being an American tourist, I of course had to embarrass myself by pulling out my camera |
 |
| This is the famous pig thing! To be honest I didn't really like it but that's probably because there were images of cute, campy pigs all over the city to advertise and so it hit too close to home. Still, I'm glad I tried it! I'm working on trying to do that whole 'experience other cultures through food' thing that everyone seems to be into |
 |
| Desert! |
 |
| Friends under an aqueduct |
 |
| Man, I wish I could see a Roman's reaction to the way that this location looks now as compared to then |
 |
This is really unnecessary but it just tickled me how anachronistic this handicapped spot on old cobblestones is |
 |
| One of the main squares |
 |
I was super thirsty so I got a frozen lemonade which I learned from Miriam is sometimes called a 'slush puppy' in the UK and I think that's pretty cute |
And that was our romantic getaway to the Spanish countryside! That night we had a chill evening and watched a Rom Com together and got plenty of sleep and it was just very gezellig, as the dutch would say.
No comments:
Post a Comment