Thursday night I lay in bed making a plan for the next day, like DO ALL THE THINGS!!! The next morning I woke up and was like, DO HALF THE THINGS!!! So I took it easy in the early morning and then met up for a free walking tour in the city around 11 and I actually liked it way more than the fancy biking tour. Our guide was fantastic. Super fun and energetic and from Brazil-he made the history of things really come alive. I also made a friend on the tour-a young woman from the Philippines who was also traveling alone. After the tour I explored and did my own thing and then did my tour finally getting to go inside the Sagrada Familia-take a look!
 |
| That beautiful church in the Gothic Quarter again |
 |
| Our fearless dreadlocked Brazilian tour guide of the capital of Catalonia! |
 |
| This church was nestled deep in the Gothic Quarter and I think the name of it has something to do with pine trees which is why I included the pine tree in the picture. This was also near the tiny side street known for gourmet chocolate-which I got to sample! |
 |
A famous courtyard that was bombed during the Spanish Civil War- those dents and wholes in the wall are the lasting damage |
 |
| I loved the fountain |
 |
We emerged from the Gothic Quarter to see this more modern building. The tour guide asked for people's opinion of the art on the side and people were like, 'my kid could do that' or 'it's super simple' and the tour guide was like, any other thoughts? And I raised my hand and was like, "I don't know, I kind of like it" and with his cute, excited Brazilian accent the tour guide was like, "Well YOU have good taste! Because that's a Picasso!" I felt very smug. |
 |
This man was playing absolutely beautiful violin music. Also the yellow plaque you see to the left under the window is the coat of arms for Barcelona |
 |
| This is the courtyard where Ferdinand and Isabella received Christopher Columbus |
 |
And this is my best regal Queen Isabella impression Apparently these were the steps they stood on to greet him |
 |
| So pretty |
 |
| Famous conglomeration of Barcelona art by the beach-also where the tour ended |
 |
| After that I walked with my new Philippine friend to the beach just so I could dip my feet in it- I had never been to the Mediterranean before, so it was a landmark moment! |
 |
| Me and my new friend- we are now connected on facebook |
 |
| The beach was crazy-crowded. See that group of guys off to the left? I took a picture of them because they were funny. I overheard them with their dry British accents being like, "this is so embarrassing. 4 pasty white English guys sharing ONE umbrella..." |
 |
| This conversation with Miriam back in Madrid made me laugh |
 |
| Christopher Columbus statue |
 |
| Beautiful Gothic bridge connecting two buildings |
 |
| Proof that I was there |
 |
| After that I went to wait for my tour time outside the Sagrada Familia and it was way hot so I got myself a gelato cone and it was delicious and I'm strangely in love with this picture because it just looks so old school. Also it is a combination of things I truly love- Europe, churches, sunlight, ice cream, solo time; It was great. |
 |
Walking into the Basilica is like walking into the Tardis (from Doctor Who). It seriously is bigger on the inside! ;) |
 |
I splurged and got an audio guide which really enhanced my experience within the basilica. Gaudi believed that nature was the ultimate artistry and how God had shown his work so he tried to replicate nature in all his designs. The columns are meant to be trees in a forest upholding the work of God and he designed it so that the sunlight came through the stained glass really strikingly |
 |
Incredible right? Also incredible that someone gave him the money to do this as it is so unconventional! |
 |
| The red/orange section of the stained glass was my favorite. So awe inspiring! |
 |
It was really crowded in there but I was touched by this family that seemed to be huddled together praying. I also sat down by myself and worshipped for a bit |
 |
| So much natural light |
 |
| I can't stop with the pictures-I loved it! |
 |
| Ok, last one of the interior and then I'll stop! |
 |
The outside is also cool but kind of a different style. Which makes sense because Gaudi died so this side was actually designed by a different guy. I really liked it though, especially with the audioguide explanation. The small white columns near the top are meant to represent the Savior's bones, like his ribcage that was broken for us. And the angled columned support coming down on either side of the statues is meant to look like the ligaments of muscle echoing the physical strain that Christ experienced for us on the cross |
 |
| "That thou doest, do quickly" |
 |
I like the angled, kind of blocky style of carving
|
 |
| After the Sagrada Familia I thought about going to another tourist destination but then I would have broken my promise to 'do half the things' and it was getting late and I didn't want to be out by myself when it was dark again. Plus, I was leaving super early the next day. So I went home. Here's a picture of the subway stop I talked about in the last post where that guy followed me (not very menacing in the light of day). |
 |
| I don't know when this was taken but its the view from the balcony of my hostel which is pretty cool |
 |
Also, I told you I was on a quest to document worldwide Pokemon Go paraphernalia- I snapped this picture the next morning at the airport |
And thus ended my time in Spain! It was a really cool experience not least because I have Spanish ancestry and it was cool to learn more about a place where my forbearers lived!
No comments:
Post a Comment