I was very tired when I got to Madrid the next day, after Porto. So tired that I forgot to text my friend Miriam that I was staying with to let her know that I had landed and that she should leave to meet up with me at our rendez-vous point. So instead I got on the metro and realized that I no longer had access to the internet. I didn't panic thinking they would probably have it at the station we were meeting at- they did not. I had to walk over to this nearby mall and heist the Starbucks wifi (they ended up handing me the password) and I eventually got ahold of Miriam. Honestly though? I was freaking out a little bit standing there at Starbucks with my mega suitcase and backpack and exhausted sweaty self.
So a little background real quick- Miriam is a good friend and fellow intern from my OPCW days. She's pretty cool and since she always said I should come to Spain I was like...imma take you up on that! It was perfect because I visited while her roommate was out of town so I had a whole room to myself. That's nicer than my current living situation.
Well, I was exhausted when we finally made it to Miriam's apartment so the first thing we did was get food. I was on a mission to be introduced to real Spanish food after I told Miriam last year that when I thought of 'Spanish' food I thought of Mexican food and she got offended by that. So we went to lots of places that she suggested and I got all my good eating done in Madrid and just did fast food in Barcelona. Yay-ah.
Ok, well anyway, here are some pictures of the first day and a half in Madrid. Oh and P.S. Something wonky and probably very fixable is going on with my computer memory but since I am incompetent and without friends here in New York I have not yet been able to rectify the situation. Therefore, being in the Harlem area, I did the ghetto thing and just took screenshots of my pictures for this blog. Sorry not sorry. Better done than perfect.
 |
| First Spanish meal. Wish I could remember what these were called but they were good! |
 |
| I kind of wanted to just go home and sleep but Miriam was rip roaring to go and I didn't want to be one to waste limited time in a foreign city- so we set out to go to the Prada! Turns out that at night they have free entry for a couple hours. So we joined the line and it was around the corner and all down the block.Luckily, it went pretty quickly! |
 |
| Waiting outside the Prada and learning the Spain Spanish way to pronounce 'Velasquez' |
 |
| Hands down my FAVORITE thing I saw at the Prada. I am in love with this statue and want to write a story based off of it. It is called 'The Blossoming of Love' and I just love the tenderness and rawness of the poses and the way that it is sexual in a beautiful rather than explicit way. I also love the reversal of gender roles in it with the man's head lower and staring up at the woman. It just really speaks to me. |
 |
| This may be one of the most frumpy picture of me that exists. But come on- famous art! |
 |
| Outside the Prada was a pretty church. |
 |
It's hard to see but there is a sign on that building that says, "Refugees Welcome" What a time to be alive. |
 |
| Madrid was beautiful and a very 'european city' |
 |
| The founding 'bear eating from tree' fable statue thing-y |
 |
Honestly, I've just started taking pictures of Pokemon related things when I travel ever since Pokemon Go got so big. It's crazy how this is such a world phenomenon |
 |
| Because I think everyone wants to see my face this close |
 |
We walked a LOT that night. My feet were so tired! But this is the beautiful Madrid Cathedral |
 |
| Royal Palace- we went back the next day and went in |
 |
So, there is this Egyptian temple in the heart of Madrid. Don't worry about it. |
 |
| Grainy gleeful selfie |
We now come to MONDAY:
 |
| In the morning Miriam obliged me by taking me to this outdoor market I discovered online. This is the only picture I took around there. I was too busy buying an oversized sunhat and 1970's alarm clock |
 |
I also made Miriam take me to the Retiro-sporting my new hat and fan that I got from the market. It was VERY hot there |
 |
| Yay, me and Miriam! |
 |
Then we went to this hole in the wall place to get tortillas. And by 'hole in the wall' I mean that to get to this back room we literally had to duck underneath the counter where they had made a 4 x 4 hole in the wall. |
 |
And by 'tortillas' I mean Spanish tortillas- i.e. these beauties. Apparently this is one of the best places for them in Madrid-Perks of being shown around by a local! |
 |
| Then we took a tour of the inside of the palace. It was pretty cool! I feel like I know so little about Spanish history compared to the rest of Europe. This is a picture taken in the palace courtyard with the cathedral behind me |
 |
| That's the other direction with the palace behind me. Apparently its the largest in Western Europe. Which I find surprising cause it kind of flies under the radar |
 |
| Another view of the palace and gardens |
 |
| Sunhat! |
 |
| Aren't we cute? |
 |
| That night I was tired of spending money so Miriam took me to this cool super cheap place where everything is between like 1-3 euros. I got a sampling of different little sandwiches which was yummy |
 |
They even had a chocolate bread and oreo sandwich so I couldn't resist getting that for desert. It was good but very rich! |
So yeah! That was Sunday and Monday in Madrid! The next day we headed out for Segovia!
I wish I was around so that I could watch Aaron fix your wonky computer!
ReplyDeleteI wish I was around so that I could watch Aaron fix your wonky computer!
ReplyDelete