Sunday, March 6, 2016

Superwoman: Level TWO



Guys! I did it! I ran an 8K in Moab this weekend!

I was SO nervous because I didn't get to train this past week at all because I wasn't feeling well! And I've NEVER done trail running in my life and I was just afraid that it would be the worst thing ever and I would humiliate myself and blah blah blah.

It turned out so well! Honestly, it was by God's grace that I ran that race in such good spirits and time after this hellish week that I had. I'm so thankful! And I'm so grateful that I have really good friends who came to cheer me on! It was SO fun to have them there! We drove to Moab on Friday night and stayed in a hostel. We had this adorable little cabin and we all shared a queen-sized bed which was not very comfortable. Kristy and I woke up like every 30 minutes. But somehow I still had the energy I needed in the morning.

I was part of the 5th wave (like the movie coming out!) of race starters. So that's the last one, cause I'm slow and we ran into the mountains and it became this uphill sheetrock thing! I mean you could run if you were really hardcore but pretty much everyone in my group just walked. That was nice. I mean, I kept a SUPER quick pace when I had to walk and then I would break into jogs when I could. I got into a good groove and was around the same people so we got to know eachother's paces and when we should allow someone to pass or when we should try to pass others.

I discovered that my secret weapon for running is AUDIBLE! They should hire me as a salesperson because I just have this need to evangelize the way this app has changed my life! I can listen to books anywhere! I'm in the middle of this great book right now called Glass Sword and I was able to just go into book land and put my body on autopilot for most of those 5 miles. It was great! A definite life hack.

When I got to the finish line, Kirsten and Kristy were waiting for me cheering and hugging me and telling me how fast I was. It was so so nice and just what I needed. (I really wasn't that fast, just fast for ME which is what running is all about). I finished in about 1 hour 15 minutes...like 1 minute before the first half marathon finisher so...there's that.

After basking in the glory of finishing the race with my friends, we went to Dead Horse Point and walked around a bit looking at the scenery. It was such a great escape from Provo for the day and I'm just so proud of what my body can do. I'm not as skinny as I once was but I am so much stronger and that's an amazing feeling.
Our little cabin

pre-race. I look really happy but I was actually so scared

Also, it was FREEZING at the beginning of the race (8am)

As I started to run

Let's be honest- the real hero of this picture is that amazing white-haired man next to me!

Those shorts! Those socks! That hair!
Really though, one of the things I've noticed about these runs is 

that all sorts of people do them
-old, young, fat, skinny- it doesn't matter! I find it inspiring.

Coming to the end of the race

Look at that form!
I had to take my jacket off halfway through because suddenly it was SO hot!

It wasn't a huge event and since I was in a gap between runners, they called out
my name as I crossed the finish line which was kind of cool.

Then these little kids ran up to me and handed me my "Finishers" Medal.
I was so proud that I wore it to sleep last night.
I think there's a metaphor in that Finishers medal.
Sometimes just finishing is the biggest thing to be proud of

I had to take my bib off when I took my jacket off so I carried it the last half-ish of the race

My loyal fan club! I love them

Sister Hurst and Sister Crane take Moab!

That view!

Can you imagine discovering this place for the first time?

Just chatting on some red rock

The KrisJens are united again.
I love my Krusty Tung so much. We've been separated loads of times since we met our freshman year
but thankfully, we keep uniting again!
Who'd have thought when we first met that we would both serve missions? Certainly not us!

Red Rock

Victory pose!
I just ran (/walked) 5 miles!
Boo-YAH!

Good people. 

For some reason I just really liked this log thingy

As we drove back we saw a cowboy herding cows across the road.


Kristy and I were pretty much convinced it was the coolest thing we had ever seen


That night I huddled down in front of my laptop and ate a whole half pint of Ben and Jerries half-baked ice cream and watched Hidalgo (inspired of course by seeing that cowboy). It was a great way to end the day.

So yeah! I have now reached Super Woman Level Two! I never thought that I would be doing this kind of stuff but I love it! Next stop: 10K!









No comments:

Post a Comment